View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
United_States
Re: Differences between female & male practitioners

Quote:
Amy Fong wrote: View Post
Please tell me how?? I'm confused because of what I feel about skills and muscles.
Kokyu Nage is the best example I can think of this. With a beginner, you want to help them with positioning, but you also want to make sure they are doing the technique correctly. I frequently see people trying the throw as a "clothesline" instead of doing it correctly. So when you get thrown improperly, don't fall, show them the difference between straight across and muscle vs the correct up and roll down position of the arm which is a skill. That being said, you also don't want to discourage new students, so make sure that you show them what they are doing incorrectly and help them to fix it.

Just remember that going easy on someone, regardless if you are doing it because of size or gender, is inevitably going to just teach them bad habits and give them a false sense of confidence. One of the high school club kids I work out with is barely 5 ft tall, and very blonde and petite. I really enjoy working out with her because she does the techniques beautifully, and you can really feel her throws. And she got that way because of students ignoring the fact that she is a small female. Granted, I also like working next to her because I love seeing her throw guys twice her size.

--Ashley