View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #18
Adam Huss

United_States
Re: Over 40's Classes?

Quote:
Ben White wrote: View Post
Greetings all,

Just wondering if you have come across training classes in Aikido that are catered for over 40's in training? To my knowledge there is not one of these classes in any martial art in my city and I did wonder if it happens internationally or not?
I have not seen classes specifically geared toward an age group, but there is an "relaxed aikido" class one of my dojo have on Monday nights. The name is misleading, however. The pace is slow, but that means you find yourself and deep and uncomfortable stances for very long periods of time while the teacher form checks everyone to make sure they are in proper position. Karate people will know what I'm talking about...basically an aikido version of the same thing. This class is often attended by people recovering from injuring wanting transitionary mat time, people who can't handle hard ukemi or the fast pace of a typical class - sometimes this translates to students who have been around the block a few times (i.e. on the wrong side of 40) who just aren't up to training in a full paced regular class and don't have the discipline to slow down their training in regular class, lol.

All this being said, I know plenty of practitioners in their 60's who are still training fiercely.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!