View Single Post
Old 01-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #23
Cliff Judge
Japan
Re: Aikido: Striking all along?

Quote:
Hansel Wong wrote: View Post
Because I decided to use a my own words as it were?
No, I just think if you focus on moving and organizing your body in such a way that you could deliver strikes, you will work against your goal of developing the effective Aikido you want.

Quote:
Hansel Wong wrote: View Post
How do you get your sword to cut the opponent? Standing at a distance and swinging wildly? Or using footwork, timing, agility and mental strength? A sword cuts, a fist hits, truly here is a difference. However, does the principle behind behind getting your sword to the target or the fist to the face differ? On a technical level perhaps, but when one looks deeper, the principles are the same. That is why all traditional martial arts incorporate weapons in the training, because what one does with the fist will translate into how one uses a weapon. I am not talking about strategy and tactics here, I am talking about training and how one goes about preparing one's body to utilize effectively, strategy and tactics. By training in weapons, one improves his fist technique. There is a correlation between the two areas and as aikidoka or any other martial artist, this is something that should not be neglected.
At the level where the principles are the same, grappling is the same too.

Last edited by Cliff Judge : 01-28-2015 at 02:18 PM.