View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #48
Cliff Judge
Japan
Re: "IP/IT/IS" vs technique?

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote: View Post
You misinterpreted much of what I wrote, but I chalk it up to the difference in experience and exposure. I know what I know, and that's the way it is. If we were on the mats together, I would demonstrate what I'm describing. As is, you're entitled to your opinion, but you don't really have the complete picture. That's fine, but please don't presume to make a pronouncement on the quality of my past training, without firsthand knowledge.
Sorry, I did not mean to offend or step outside of the rules of the forum. Your account of your training seemed really unenthusiastic to me and I was reacting to that. I don't know how much of a timeframe you glossed in that paragraph but it seemed like a confusing and compressed process and I honestly don't think that's a good way to learn a kata-based koryu system like Daito ryu.

It is highly possible that I misinterpreted what you said, but I'm really going to stand by my assertion that you don't need to train aiki - given a broad range of definitions of aiki - in order to be able to produce spontaneous technique.