View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #88
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: Koshi Nage - Distance Between Nage's Feet

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
That's an awful comparation, if I may say.
You may, although I think you're getting caught up in details not principles.

Quote:
Gess you've never been at an Iwama Ryu dojo, then.
No, although I did get my shodan from Kurita Minouru Shihan's Aikido Seikikai and he spent a lot of time in Iwama with OSensei. Their technical syllabus very closely resembles the Iwama stuff. Interestingly we were instructed to do koshinage with the feet no more than a foot apart. So let me get this straight, you've been taught to do your waza looking at the ground and that is a trademark of the Iwama style of Aikido?

Quote:
Not an expert in Christian bible myself. I don't know what you're talking about, but again this comparation looks ugly to me.
You could read some of this if you were so inclined.

Quote:
This is neither relevant nor related to the matter at hand. Are you implying that "the greats" had a reason to do Koshi Nage feet apart than no longer applies? If so, what could that be?
There's lots of reasons people do things the way they do. Bad knees, bad backs, wrecked shoulders, personal preference, being tall, being short, having strong legs, not having strong legs...

The case could be made for feet close or feet wide, but if you're hitting the principles behind the specifics it doesn't really matter. Personally I don't really do this koshinage anymore, preferring many of judo's koshi throws.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu