View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 09:25 AM   #82
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain
Re: Koshi Nage - Distance Between Nage's Feet

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
Out of curiosity, do you end every technique with one arm raised overhead as you pin (as was demonstrated quite clearly in the Noma dojo photos)? Perhaps you do [...]
More often than not.

Quote:
[...], but this whole thread reminds me of religious conservatives who cling to minutia of scripture as if their very life depended on it (worse, their very soul!), while glossing over and ignoring commands, rules and doctrines that once carried just as much weight in their religious communities.
That's an awful comparation, if I may say.

Quote:
In most of the photos that people have posted in this thread, nage is quite clearly looking at the ground. I have never met a single aikido or jujutsu teacher that said that we *should* be looking at the ground while we do technique.
Gess you've never been at an Iwama Ryu dojo, then.

Quote:
And yet, looking at photos of "the greats" so so many of them are looking at their feet.
Maybe they know better than us.

Quote:
Do we emulate that with equal conviction or is that similar to the text of the Christian bible that relates to pig's flesh?
Not an expert in Christian bible myself. I don't know what you're talking about, but again this comparation looks ugly to me.

Quote:
"You idiots, when your mother was little we didn't have many pans and I didn't have one big enough to fit a whole ham..." she replied.
This is neither relevant nor related to the matter at hand. Are you implying that "the greats" had a reason to do Koshi Nage feet apart than no longer applies? If so, what could that be?