Thread: Bokken Training
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2005, 08:51 AM   #25
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: To and from the center

Quote:
Stefan Stenudd wrote:
The center, tanden, is not just a center of gravity, but the starting and ending point in most budo.
And in most correctly-done everyday movements, as well.
Quote:
Let's take shihonage as an example: It is very much a sword move - drawing the sword, then cutting with it. There are some body turns involved, as well, but essentially the arm movement is that of a sword cut.
Now, the straight sword cut should be done in front of one's center, or it will lose power and sharpness. Shihonage, too, tori should do with both hands in front of the center (and the center line of the body). If the hands deviate to the left or the right, there is a risk of losing the ability to complete the technique.
Well, I enjoyed watching your video clips and they look pretty good (bearing in mind that video clips are not the best way to examine things; but they still looked pretty good). However, my question would be along the lines of asking you the required basics of doing a sword-cut "using the middle"... how would you compare a sword-cut done "with the middle" when standing on the ground versus one done "with the middle" after you have leaped straight up into the air? Both could be done "with the middle" as you described, wouldn't you agree? I.e., what further clarifications could you make to a student about the requirements of cutting "with the middle"? Not that I disagree with anything you are saying, either. I think that you are now closer to describing the essence of correct bokken swinging that we have been so far.

My opinion, FWIW.

Mike