View Single Post
Old 03-23-2002, 05:49 PM   #22
guest1234
Quote:
Originally posted by jimvance
I think where the fall happens depends less on relative height between uke and tori, and more on manipulation of that common center of gravity. If the common center is high enough, then uke may want to thrust up and over it. Perhaps that is what was meant, but I took it to mean tall people throw "tall" and short people throw "short". I think short people can throw "tall" and vice versa, it all depends on where the common center is and what it is doing.

The goal of slapping with your arm is to take stress away from the torso and all the organs it holds. Please don't hurt it Mr. Kreicbergs. :smiling Going as slow as gravity will let you and breathing out will help to relieve most other stresses.

Jim Vance
Yes, Jim, you did misunderstand me. If I meant it was the height of nage, I'd have said "this depends on nage's height" NOT "how high off the ground you do that roll can vary according to you and your nage." I meant just that: if nage throws high, it is difficult to roll low. If nage tries to throws low, uke might be able to lead it and roll high, or if not will will forced to roll low. The timing and interaction between the two, plus where nage plans to throw and how skilled he is at it, determines how high uke will breakfall.

Erik, my first sensei could do silent breakfalls. Not sure how he did it, knowing what I know now I'd like to see him do them again, I'm thinking he took the fall low. The closer to the ground, the less noise a fall is going to make. My rolls have always been silent, and my breakfalls noisy (the exact opposite of what sensei wanted---sigh) but it gives me something to work on. My breakfalls are less noisy if I try to get lower (which I'm not fond of doing), and with some techniques and nages (OK, the big guys who like to add energy) quite a bit louder.