View Single Post
Old 06-25-2004, 02:58 PM   #22
Yo-Jimbo
Dojo: formerly Windward Aikido, formerly at Keewenaw Schools of Aikido (ASU)
Location: Formerly Hawaii Pacific University, formerly at Michigan Technological University
United_States
Ai symbol By who's word?

Quote:
David Edwards wrote:
For me, the Holy Spirit and Ki are not synonymous... rather, my perception as it is of the Holy Spirit changes my view of Ki, in some respects. As mentioned above.. they have enough similarities for overlap, yet enough differences for distinction.
They are two different words after all. Aiki ~ Et Spiritu Sancti, Amen.
Quote:
David Edwards wrote:
What I have mainly to offer new to this discussion: on the subject of bowing to a portrait of O Sensei (as is traditional in my own dojo, and throughout at least the three biggest associations in this country). Jesus was questioned about whether or not they, the Jews, should pay taxes to Caesar. Jesus asks them to bring him the coin they use to pay, and they bring him a denarius, and he asks whose portrait is on it, whose inscription. They answer "Caesar's". Thus he says to them "So give to God what is God's, and Caesar what is Caesar's"
This shows me two things. I've heard this bit of scripture many times, but this is the first time the second point has occurred to me so strongly.
1) There are proper uses of inductive reasoning if one is careful (the above seems to be a reasonable analysis).
2) Trying to twist wisdom to personal convenience and gain goes all the way back (some people can't seem to pass up an excuse to consider themselves above their fellows and taxes).
Thanks for you insight and the opportunity for reexamination.
Quote:
David Edwards wrote:
Thus I say, give to God the respect that is due to him, and give to O Sensei the respect that is due to him. We know perfectly well that bowing in this context is a sign of respect, not worship. And if we do... All-knowing God certainly does, and understands perfectly.
Spoken like a true prince of the universe.

"One does not find wisdom in another's words." -James D. Chye