View Single Post
Old 07-04-2000, 11:06 AM   #12
Erik
Re: just not aikido then

[quote]dave wrote:
Quote:
ITs simple and word games cant change it.many people are spiritual,many budo,many aikido,but one doesnt mean the other.Competative and or violent destructive energy,used to maim,kill,and permanently disable IS NOT aikido and people of every age,race,belief system in history have used every justificaction conceivable to hide behind Aikido will be no exception.Aikido is non-contention or the aikidoka has failed to put aikido into action we are human we will fail much but the fault is ours in execution or understanding the basis of aikido at all.So I also disagree with chuck on the woman in the alley scene.she has the choice to use aikido OR Kill them but if she had been using aikido she wouldnt be there at all.and as I have seen chuck post ther is no aikido in war,and Osensi taught there is no war/enemy in aikido.So erik its aikido or it is not non of us should justify our weakness,and fear,agrressive,violent untrained tendencies though and hide behind aikido.be sure if someone broke my door down and violently entered my home it would not be aikdo I used to stop them it would surely be somthing more primative and destructive but I could never justify that energy as aikido O'sensis teaching is clear enough to see that. semmantics are for endless philosophys and they are great for funcompatition but thats not aikido either.
I guess we should post warning notices at the post office which say, "warning, Tomiki school nearby, strong potential for raping, maiming, pillaging and other general mayhem by non-aikidoka hiding as aikidoka. It hasn't happened yet but they're strong advocates of death and destruction and don't practice Aikido the way we think they should. Because of this we are certain of what's really in their mind, it's not Aikido, so keep the shelter stocked and prepare for the worst."

If you hunt down one of Chuck's posts on Tomiki you would read his comments that the style was created so that younger students might become interested in the art on one level (competition) and through that interest be introduced to deeper levels in the art. I don't know if that's Aikido or not but by your definition there's only one way to do and think Aikido, so I guess it isn't Aikido.

If O'Sensei's teachings were so full of crystal clarity and astounding perfection why is it that there is so much disagreement on exactly what Aikido is? Why do so many people do it differently? Maybe you were there with O'Sensei and learned the truth from him and you alone grasped the infinite meaning of his truth. That's good because no one else seems to have.

And dude isn't it a long jump from competition to maiming, killing and permanently disabling people? It's funny but this happens to me a lot in discussions about this art. Incredible knee jerk reactions to things into bizarre and strange assertions. All usually because I don't pull out my Aikido bible and answer appropriately.

First I'm shallow and I hate fat sensei (of course, there's never been a fat, lazy or lousy Aikido sensei) and now I'm one of the 4 horsemen. Sheesh.

[Edited by Erik on July 4, 2000 at 08:04pm]