IP Hash: df41d416
Dojo: nashville aikiki(last)
Anonymous User
Smile just not aikido then

Quote:
Erik wrote:
Quote:
Nick wrote:
Competitiveness is not Aikido, as stated by O-sensei, so thinking competitively does not make you a good student, because by those guidelines, you are no longer an aikidoka.

-Nick
I dunno about this. Lets say there was this guy, we'll call him Mr. Tomiki for instance. Let's say that Mr. Tomiki had interesting ideas and one of those interesting ideas was to introduce competition into Aikido. Now I would bet that some of his students would think competitively but were they then not doing Aikido? Kind of hard to say isn't it? It's even harder to say what Aikido is.

I don't think competition is inherently bad. In fact, I've seen good things come from it and I've also seen some not so good things. It depends a lot on the individual and the context of competition.

well then- perhaps this is appropriate:

"What makes a good student?"

A good teacher.

Not to pick you to death but another way this could read is

"What makes a good teacher?"

A good student.

Really you can't have one without the other. Take a look at sports and how we hype up coaches like Phil Jackson (Laker's coach). Sure he is good, damn good but give him the Clippers and see how many games he wins. You need both.
sorry guy I cant tell if the post is erik or nick,I think it is erik though,This is really not just semmantics as fun as they can be.ITs simple and word games cant change it.many people are spiritual,many budo,many aikido,but one doesnt mean the other.Competative and or violent destructive energy,used to maim,kill,and permanently disable IS NOT aikido and people of every age,race,belief system in history have used every justificaction conceivable to hide behind Aikido will be no exception.Aikido is non-contention or the aikidoka has failed to put aikido into action we are human we will fail much but the fault is ours in execution or understanding the basis of aikido at all.So I also disagree with chuck on the woman in the alley scene.she has the choice to use aikido OR Kill them but if she had been using aikido she wouldnt be there at all.and as I have seen chuck post ther is no aikido in war,and Osensi taught there is no war/enemy in aikido.So erik its aikido or it is not non of us should justify our weakness,and fear,agrressive,violent untrained tendencies though and hide behind aikido.be sure if someone broke my door down and violently entered my home it would not be aikdo I used to stop them it would surely be somthing more primative and destructive but I could never justify that energy as aikido O'sensis teaching is clear enough to see that. semmantics are for endless philosophys and they are great for funcompatition but thats not aikido either.

your Kindness IS your greatness