View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #28
ryback
Re: Crosstraining Aikidoka: A Survey

Quote:
Jamie D. Ducusin wrote: View Post
I did a forum search and as I didn't see anything recent that was similar (at least in its scope), I'm hoping that any Aikidoka out there who are currently cross training in other martial arts could be so kind as to take the time to answer a few questions for me - I'd really like to get a sense of what people are doing, how and why:

1) How long have you been practicing Aikido?

2) What is/are the name(s) of the other art(s) you are currently practicing?

3) How long have you been practicing the other art(s) concurrent with your training in Aikido?

4) What ratio of time do you devote to each art (ie. how many days a week are spent practicing Aikido, how many days in the other art(s)?)

5) Is the focus/goal of your cross training:
a) to complement your practice of Aikido
b) to broaden your knowledge/overall skill as a martial artist in general
or
c) other (if so, what?)

6) If you believe that the current art(s) you are cross training in is/are benefiting or complementing your practice of Aikido, could you please describe how?

7) Can you think of any ways that your current cross training may actually be detrimental to your practice of Aikido and if so, please describe how.

Thanks in advance for your time!
1) I'm practicing Aikido for 16 years.

2) Iai-do

3) I think about 14 years. My aikido sensei also teaches me iai-do.

4) 7 days per week (aprx.) aikido and 1 day iai-do.

5) a. Yes
b. Yes
c. To have a contact with a real live blade and also a connection with the samurai roots of aikido. It is also a good esoteric practice, it helps me become one with my self and my environment and clears my mind. It is the ideal solitary practice.

6) It is. Aikido has a strong connection with the sword and since we don't go in the battlefield with such a weapon nowadays it is important to practice difficult kata in order to become one with it inside the dojo. Iai-do practice keeps me internaly balanced as well and that is very important for aikido too.

7) I am strongly opposed against cross training in martial arts. To be honest, i don't even consider my iai-do as a cross training I see it more as a solitary aikido training with a shinken. So, in my opinion, nobody should mix different martial arts because the basic principles are different in each one of them. Yet, Iai-do is a "must" supplementary training for any aikidoist. So in fact, it is not even an exeption, it's part of it...