View Single Post
Old 11-10-2001, 08:57 AM   #39
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Testing limits

Quote:
Originally posted by deepsoup
Will gaining Shihan's permission be a just a formality, or is it something he'll have to think about?
Its a Japanese thing. Even in Japan I could go and just do it but in talking with the Koryu (old stream, schools established before the Meiji restroation) guy one of the first questions he asked was there a problem with my Budo. I told him the only problem was distance, that I would continue to train once a week at Shodokan Honbu, was very happy with the training there and that these were my friends. In fact what I was doing was exploring the options and would ask Nariyama for his advice. He agreed that this was a good idea and I should get Nariyama's permision and a letter of introduction.

Is it a formality?

I have been told by Nariyama not to train in certain places but I believe a lot of that had to do with the quality of instruction. I was introduced to Shodokan Honbu through connections - the most important being a Judo friend of Nariyama - I'm told it is important but I did not see a difference. He may say no - its a real possiblity - he may suggest an alternative or he may say nothing at all.

I see Budo training as more than just a collection of techniques and in this regard have put myself entirely in Nariyama's hands. He takes Budo very seriously and I can assume that if he does say no there are valid reasons for it. A high ranking Judo guy in Nariyama's presence said I should do Judo but I am more interested in weapons for the moment. anyway - its all discussion and not reality for the moment.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido