View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #19
Mario Tobias
Philippines
Re: Kihon (Basics) waza - In a state of decline?

Quote:
Jonathan Wong wrote: View Post
Hi Mario, I agree that small things can make a big difference-- especially in the controlled environment of the dojo, where we can study these specific things.

But I don't like the idea of a long list of discrete little things. To me, it means the longer you train, the longer the list of things you've learned to do. Instead, my ideal is just a single item on the list, where the longer you train, the deeper your understanding of that one item.
Hi Jonathan,

I agree with what you've said. For the long list of the little things that are mentioned, I think that's why it takes decades of practice to master techniques.

From another thread, you need to attain "conscious competence" which is the 3rd stage of learning. You need to discover these little bits/details that make the difference and start incorporating these in your execution. From there, by repetitive practice, you attain "unconscious competence" (last stage) and no longer need to be conscious as this is built into muscle memory, it will be 2nd nature to you no matter how long the list is.

I think that even O-sensei and Endo sensei in their prime realized that they were still in the beginning stage of learning the art. To us they may be considered masters, but to them their learning is just the tip of the iceberg . The learning doesnt stop, you just go to a higher level.

I like the idea you said " my ideal is just a single item on the list, where the longer you train, the deeper your understanding of that one item"