View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #68
Hilary
Dojo: Torrey Pines Aiki Kai
United_States
Re: Throwing with shihonage

Keith:
I just had the “we practice slow but can speed up just fine” concept revalidated for me. One of our sandans who has been out for about 5 years (overseas), rejoined us. He originally trained in Japan under a hardcore Japanese war vet, likes to go old school hard and fast.

So while sensei took a brief vacation he decided to speed things up in front of a couple of kyus. To be clear there was no malintent on his part, a little ego (but let he who is without sin cast the first stone), and an honest intent to demonstrate a bit of reality and more intense level of training. Boom kaiten nage off of punches full speed, half power. It had been several years since I trained that and it came out like butter. Yeah the arm intercept shifted from wrist to elbow, due to speed and depth of entry, which made it easier and potentially a much harder throw if I had goosed it. Most of the time I didn’t even have to touch his neck, the arm was so connected (yoked) to his elbow.

What was nice is one of the kyus who has boxing, wrestling, and hsing ye experience (however that is spelled) said “wow it really does speed up just fine”. Felt great because as an accomplished martial artist in other styles, I’m sure he had some doubt about the speed up and power up claims we make in this art. Now if I can just get the sandan to slow down so he doesn’t pop the screws in his shoulders I‘ll consider it a total victory. Because even with me shedding energy before peak power, the throw is much harder. Nice to feel it and be reminded that it is easy to ratchet up, but I’d rather extend my injury free streak. I’m with you on the mantra Keith, I would add “he who does not break trains longer”.

Last edited by Hilary : 06-26-2014 at 03:29 PM. Reason: directing response