View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 08:55 AM   #8
dps

Re: Hiroshima, Nagasaki, O'Sensei

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello,

With respect, I really have to ask: where is your evidence for all this? The drastic change of focus, as a direct result of the atomic bombing; the physical and emotional illness? Where is this 'larger conversation'? Who were the participants?

It was Kisshomaru Ueshiba who had to live in Tokyo during the fire-bombings (which claimed more deaths than in Hiroshima) and carry out his father's order to preserve the Tokyo dojo, even if it cost him his life. Morihei had escaped (this is Kisshomaru's own term) to the relatively peaceful surroundings of Iwama and experienced the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings only at second hand.

I have lived in Hiroshima for nearly 30 years and know many living A-bomb victims. Very few want to talk pubicly about their intensely private experiences. Of course, the City of Hiroshima has been assiduous in collecting records of A-Bomb Witnesses (this is an official title), as a public testimony for its own way of handling Japanese A-Bomb politics.

Similarly, the Aikikai Hombu has also used the bombings for 'aikido politics', as part of its agenda to project aikido as a martial art for world peace, as this is understood by postwar Japanese.

Yes, we are coming up to the anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, which happend at 8.15 am on August 6. As I stated, I have neighbors and friends who were in Hiroshima at the time. O Sensei was not, so he did not really have a clue of the pain and sufferings involved.

Best wishes,

PAG
Maybe a better question should be; What influence did the dropping of the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki have on the development of Aikido for Kisshomaru Ueshiba, Tohei, Tomiki, Gozo, et al?

David

Last edited by dps : 07-30-2007 at 08:58 AM.

Trust only movement. Life happens at the level of events not of words. Trust movement. --Alfred Adler