Thread: MMA not a MA?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: MMA not a MA?

Quote:
Gornall Bell wrote: View Post
My aikido instructor said in class the other day that MMA is not a martial art but a sport. Got back home and began to have a think about this statement last night and I'm beginning to wonder if this is true or not.
MMA training used to be you would go to say a Thai boxing gym for striking, BJJ gym for your jitsu and maybe take some wrestling as well. Separate places for separate arts so you were not training in one MA.
Nowadays you can go to a gym and train MMA classes that contain all these separate parts in one class, so it's no longer separate arts but the parts need for MMA training in one new place.
Has MMA transitioned into a new MA? I think with the advent of these all in one classes that it has and that it's beginning to grow its own traditions and style distinct from other MA's. Are we witnessing the birth of a new MA or is it still just a sport?
Dear Gornall,
I consider boxing/fencing judo art but these are sports.It may well be the case that MMA, in my opinion a hybrid method of combat , may well develop into a combat method distinct from others.
My good friend Henry Ellis Sensei has a son called Rik who at present is a pro.MMA fighter.Perhaps Rik may well give our forum readers an idea of how he perceives the future development of MMA?
all the best , joe.