View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 08:04 PM   #41
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
Re: How long to shodan?

It's simple, because as I said before the standards set by the Aikikai Hombu dojo are the minimum standards and not the required standards. Don't just point fingers here at the USAF, there are many organizations here affiliated with the Aikikai, ASU, included, that have set forth their own testing requirements outside and beyond the Aikikai Hombu dojo. I never took it as an affront to the Doshu that other organizations use different standards - standards based upon their definition of what shodan is.

I also like and appreciate the fact that the testing techniques are not directly dictated by the Aikikai Hombu dojo standards. I find wisdom in their approach in allowing organizations FREEDOM to decide how to test and rank their students. It's unity through diversity, not unity through everyone being exactly the same. Even within the USAF you will find great variation in technique and instruction methods. I obviously do not see this a threat to the well being of the USAF or the Aikikai. Instead, it is a sign of health.

And, no Chris, I don't think Hombu standards are "low." Don't take affront. They are different. I'd take a safe bet that an aikidoka with 13 years experience in Hombu is equivalent to a 13 years experience where I train. It doesn't matter to me that the Hombu person is sandan and ours would be nidan.

In my opinion, the differences in expectation of the "meaning of shodan" are cultural ones. I think it is misguided to expect every single person to be the same, every single rank to be exactly alike, each 5th kyu or 1st dan to be exactly alike. Is that what you're getting at Mr. Li? I'm sorry but I think you would be doing a disservice to the Aikikai as a whole to expect every single person to be the same.

(P.S. G DiPierro, in the USAF it is not unknown that some sensei test their students on techniques and skills beyond what is set forth by our organization. Some add weapons requirements, ukemi requirements, additional techniques, etc. I know my sensei expects us know a lot more for 1st kyu than the bare minimum set forth by our organization. Variation and freedom in testing your students is allowed as long as the minimum requirements are met. However, if someone puts up a student for shodan test and they are not ready, they will get failed.)

Anne Marie Giri