View Single Post
Old 02-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #13
eyrie

Australia
Re: Internal-Aiki.com, a new forum for discussing all the "internal" stuff

Just a couple of points:

1. Jun has done a wonderful "aiki" thing for the aikido community by creating an online community which I believe lives up to its slogan of "serving the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information". This has been a decade long in the making and, I am sure, has not been an easy one for Jun.

2. Whilst outgrowth is sometimes necessary and inevitable, I think it is rather bad form to post a thread that draws people away from the very community which fostered its growth. If you're going to do that, then at least make the invitation by PM to the select few.

3. Conflict is an inevitable fact of life. I have not yet encountered a family or community (on-line or off) , where its members did not bicker, hurl invectives and insults or even come to blows. Whilst I do empathize with how others might feel over the constant bickering and personal insults, I agree with Stephen - it's another place to check in and spend time..

4. OTOH, I can also appreciate your frustrations with the noise to information ratio. I think people can and will do one of two things - leave OR ignore the noise - i.e. avoid it or learn to deal with it. I would consider it a different aspect of "training". Sometimes the noise can be a good thing. Other times it can dampen productive discussion. It's up to individual members to do what is necessary to restore balance. And there's always that "ignore button"... virtual, physical or otherwise...

5. There are several existing forums which deal with internal strength and the internal arts. At least one non-sectarian forum exists which deals with the topic in a more in-depth and open manner, to which a few of us here are already subscribed. I don't think it's that hard to get a personal invite to this forum - you just need to ask the right people... to "get your foot in the door".

In closing, I would like to echo Jun's best wishes that Internal-Aiki.com can create a successful and thriving community, and that it can attract the sort of people necessary for its continued growth. There's a lot more to it than just "building it and (hoping) they will come".

Ignatius