View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #268
DH
United_States
Re: Are we really doing O'Senseis Aikido?

Quote:
Brad Medling wrote: View Post
I would say so. Each sensei has learned aiki principles that were transmitted through a lineage. That lineage, usually the head of an organization, may tweak a technique but the fundamental, underlying principle is the same. So, I feel that if O'sensei were present in this discussion, he would say "take what I have shown you and make it your own". No two people will perform a technique in an identical manner no more than a molecule that spins on a certain order of magnitude will travel the same path. I hope this is the correct way to approach your question.
At some point in time someone needs to hold some sort of standard or someones feet to the fire.
As it is now its all over the place and it seems to me that lineage, or teachers or standards or rank really don't apply in any meaningful way.
And taking quotes from Ueshiba don't really help as they themselves are all over the place.
What are supposed to say to
"Take what I have shown you and make it your own."
When compared to him bellowing at his own deshi saying
"This is not my aikido."

In the fullness of time these "make aikido your own" statements should be challenged by taking them to their logical conclusion.
Dan