View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #384
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Chris Evans wrote: View Post
Because...

mostly that (1) too much idealistic consideration's given to the felon's safety at the unacceptable risk of the defender's
and
somewhat that (2) only very very few Aikido-only person could do well testing their art in a MMA/UFC type of pressure, in an open call for challenges: if Aikido-ka would break bones in such agreed duels then people will know Aikido's for real.

I'm just explaining why. I believe Aikido's for real, but for a large portion of Aikido-ka (and also for many in Karate-ka) self-knowledge through managing fear, pain, and fully practical physical skills is not a priority: The mind is polished through the "bitter" work on the body, that's a full circle. Many folks are comfortable with delusional or limited martial arts, like doing moving, compliant, yoga.

Unless Aikido-ka get known for breaking bones using Aikido the perception will not change.
Dear Chris,
Who do you suggest should be the candidate/s for the bone breaking?You, your students or some other guys?Do you want to go out and find somebody in the street and break them up just to promote the image of Aikido as a Martial Art?I personally dont care whether anybody thinks I do an effective/ ineffective art.My own experiences in this game [over 40 years ] leads me to to the opinion that Aikido can if the situation merits it,be martial.
Having the ability to [as you put it ]break bones, does not
mean you have to.
Rather than be concerned about image, do you not feel as responsible people we should advocate non violence and peaceful resolution in potential conflict situations?
All the best , Joe.