View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #72
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Life Question - Harming Another Human Being

Quote:
Michael McNamara wrote: View Post
If that's your thrust, then why not wrestling?...remember that sport? It doesn't require drawing blood, does it? Your defense is nothing more than a fig leaf on your testosterone. You're trying to rationalize brutality. We should seek to be better than that. Brutality is, by my view, even lower than the animal kingdom. They don't kill for pleasure; they kill for necessity.
Cat's kill for sport. I have a lot of cats, I can tell you they kill things without any intent of eating. It dies and they walk away saddened that their toy is dead.

Dolphins kill for sport. They have been seen killing turtles as a pod playing a game. It is believed they do this out of sexual frustration.

Coyotes have also been known to kill for sport. Going though a herd of animals killing them all but taking none.

Foxes kill for sport, they will frequently only take the heads of their pray and leave the bodies to rot.

I've seen dogs kill for sport. Chasing down rabbits and flinging them in the air over and over. Frustrated when they die and off hunting for a new toy.

Even apes and monkeys are known to kill for sport.

Humans are just animals, however, some of us aspire to be better than animals. No matter what though we are at our core animals. The goal of all animals is to live and reproduce. Anyone trying to take that away from me will be met with animalistic force.

Martial arts to me are not about that. MMA/BJJ/Judo/Boxing to me is not about that. While I used to train in martial arts for defense. I now train as a powerful form of self insight. To see what I can overcome, what I can accomplish, and what I can create. This is the core of the fight to me. The creation of order from chaos. I do not seek to hurt my opponent in a sparing match, that is simply a side effect of our pursuit of order from chaos.

I've learned far more about spirituality, myself, and wisdom by being punched in the face in a sparing match then I have ever learned from any sensei.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein