View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #317
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Is It Missing In Everybody's Aikido?

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
My favorite story is of playing with two structural engineers; one of whom is a nationally recognized expert who has been brought in to resolve various troubled projects, including our own big dig and air port sublimation issues.
I let him and his associate push me, pull me, and what not and they said...that's impossible! Once I explained it and even had them do some things a little bit they went off on each other cracking up on how difficult it would be to have to try an model that.
Funny thing about aeronautical engineers like Rutan, he makes things everybody else, including other engineers, thought could not possibly fly or fly well. Then he sets records with them. He is going into space these days... In short, there are engineers and then there are aeronautical engineers, ...

The reason is that the Navier-Stokes equations are a big unmapped mountain to climb -- describing fluid flow and shear vortices. Funny things -- they have no general model (or universally defined 3D mathematical solutions) that can be derived from them -- one of the most intractable problems in mathematics, actually. Only local solutions are known within certain sets of established parameters derived from empirical observation. Those have to be discovered. New solutions cannot be easily predicted from prior successful parameters. In short, they are not linear. Engineers who like reliable, generally predictive models despise or have great distaste for Navier-Stokes equations. Those guys make things like Reynolds numbers and stay in well mapped areas. Rutan didn't have any Reynolds tables for reentry transitions with his "falling leaf" design.

Does anybody see anything interesting to compare there in what Ikeda is doing and teaching? If not then you weren't paying attention.

There are engineers who like design but not flying, and pilots who fly and care nothing about engineering. On the other hand, there are engineers who like to fly and pilots who like the engineering. The latter two both see the same stuff in slightly different but related ways/ They "get" the way planes want to fly and the way things like shear want to function when they start to see its recognizable contours operating in a given setting. They are like mountain climbers who just like to go see if the route is passable over the next ridge. Everybody else thinks they are nuts, but they are certain before they go that the shape of the ridge is right to go over.

Last edited by Erick Mead : 07-27-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.