View Single Post
Old 09-23-2004, 07:26 AM   #54
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: Aikido Separatism / Fundamentalism?

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
Thing is Larry (the Shodo-Ninja) we tend to be pretty anal about keeping the leg straight ourselves. Go into a Judo dojo and it tends to be the one thing they pick up on also. I guess this answers Ian's question - learn to straighten that leg.

Nariyama Shihan once tore me to shreds for folding that leg in - he was seriously worried about knee damage. I had just got back to Japan from a stint in Canada and I guess had fallen under the influences of an Aikikai dojo.
Interesting point Peter.

Like Craig said, it would be cool to get some body stress and joint impact studies to go with some of our assumptions on Ukemi and to scientifically check out what we have been taught.

I learnt to roll (mae ukemi) both with the leg extended on landing and with the leg tucked. What I found was that with low energy rolls (like when I take a dive on my own) it was easier to tuck my leg under and get to a standing point (also to go into hanza handachi waza if necessary). This sort of roll also worked well when I tripped and fell forward on the street once. The other one I use in the dojo mainly as it is a hell of a lot louder (something I don't particular like), the area of main impact changes from one's knees to one's ankles/feet (which only means that the force gets transferred towards the knee after) and it tends to be more difficult to get up with for me anyway. The thing is, this type of roll is perfect for when I get launched out of a cannon by someone (like shishida in my nidan test) who intends to put me on the other side of the dojo with a throw, the leg straight ukemi is great for braking on impact. If I folded my leg here I'd probably keep on going without control. So like I said, for me (as is the case with technique) situation dictates which one I use at any time, they tend to fall into place naturally. I've done both types of roll in Judo and Jujutsu as well and haven't had any complaints. Of course again, this had much to do with the type of throw and how I wanted to recover. Most Judo throws don't plan for you to get up afterwards, so the leg out option is best to control one's movement when impact is made with the floor imo.

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca