Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Article: 'Sincere' Attacks: A Platonic Dialogue by Peter Goldsbury

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:
Sincere: wholehearted, genuine, honest

Attack: forceful, offensive, undertaking
Hello Lynn,

I don't know--and this is partly why I wrote the article as a dialogue.

I remember a one-to-one training session with Chiba Sensei in his house in Mishima, after he had returned to Japan from the UK. The waza was irimi-nage, from a simple katate-dori hand-grab. It was not a crippling attack, but simply a gesture, to see what I would do with it.

I have to believe that the attack was sincere, since it was Chiba who was doing it, but what was noteworthy (and spectacular for me) was that the attack continued all the way through the technique, right until I had laid him on the tatami, and any loss or technique on my part invariably led to a kaeshi waza (usually a koshi-nage which made the house shake). And he taught in the traditional koryu way, by being uke until I had got the waza right to his satisfaction.

There is another thread somewhere in this forum about private lessons vs. group training. With someone like Chiba Sensei I think this is a no-brainer. I learned more about the techniques we practised from one session with him (and on other occasions with his father-in-law, M Sekiya) than from hundreds of hours of regular training.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury