View Single Post
Old 12-23-2003, 01:55 PM   #1
Ian Upstone
Cross training within aikido

Hello everyone.

First-time poster here!

I train in Yoshinkan aikido, and I'm lucky enough to have a sensei who recommends training at other aikido dojos with as many teachers as possible, regardless of affiliation or stylistic differences, as after all they all came from the same man at various stages of his life.

As a result I have a little bit of experience in other, later, 'styles' of aikido, and I feel it has broadened my understanding somewhat.

It is also somewhat humbling when you have to start from 'square one' as it were, which is difficult both technically as well as (if I'm being brutally honest) from a pride point of view.

I also became especially aware (and then paranoid) of habits I had previously developed in my regular dojo, i.e shouting "Osu!"; keeping hips square; blocking (and applying!) atemi that are not taught at a particular dojo. The list goes on...

I didn't start looking around until I had a fairly good grasp of the basics in my dojo as I felt that before then it would confuse rather than help me, but I'm certainly glad I did now. Although my experiences of other dojo are very limited and I continue at the same dojo, my aikido and my understanding of aikido has definitely improved.

I also feel (maybe incorrectly!) that starting in an earlier style and then visiting later, "post-war" styles in the historical order is easier than perhaps the other way around.

I'd love to hear others views and anecdotes - both good and bad, about training in other dojos. I'm sure there are some great stories and strong opinions about this.

Thank you!