Thread: Bad Maai
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Re: Bad Maai

I guess it differs per agency. Sure, they can back up, but their job is to protect themselves and society. If this guy was a threat to either, then I can see why the officer fired. It is easy enough to analyze things like this from reading or even seeing the situation. It is a totally different situation when you are directly involved and you fear for your safety (or the safety of others). You see things like this frequently with officer involved shootings and more often then not, they are ruled as a justified shooting in a grand jury hearing. We work a few officer involved shootings a year at the lab I work at, so I am some what familiar with what officer's say and experience.

As far as the distance between the officer and the now deceased... the officer probably tried to approach said person to neutralize the situation. Once the situation escalated, he probably tried to create a buffer area or stopped approaching the person to maintain a "safe zone". The thing about being an officer is that it involves you getting up close and personal with the person you are trying to question or take into custody. So, of course they are going to be close more often then not. And even though they were nine feet or ten feet apart, when you fear for your life, that distance seems awful minute....

Last edited by ninjaqutie : 09-08-2010 at 01:07 PM.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.