View Single Post
Old 12-08-2006, 09:00 PM   #31
five04zog
United_States
Re: What is aikido good for?

First, let me say sorry. I did not mean to say that Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is less sophisticated. I stand corrected. I have all the respect in the would for the art and think it is a powerhouse. I love cross training in it (any jujutsu, Hapkido or judo). The same goes for all arts.

I have trained in Southern Style Kung fu, Kickboxing and am belted in Hapkido (I believe a sister art to Aikido). I think the more tools you have the better you are in a real would situation. You will fall back on your training.

I know that this type of discussion on aikido in inevitable. We just need to remember that Aikido is different for everyone. I love how aikido makes me feel and think and it helps me socialize outside of my comfort zone. It can be hard to have friends outside of police work. When I am at the dojo, I am just an other student and I am comfortable. Great for of exercise to.

On the other side of the coin, aikido can be destructive. A fine art for self-defense. Some Aikido schools have even incorporated regular cross training in BJJ. I am not talking "combat Aikido" hard-core quaci-aikido/jujustu guys. I mean mainstream highly respected Sensei. Off the top of my head, Bookman Sensei in Seattle has cross-trained and many of his students do as well. I feel that this is great.

If Aikido is more of meditation in motion or a way for you to just better your self, this is great to. I like it for both.

Sorry if I got off track of the thread….

Stay safe