View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 03:03 PM   #12
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Motion capture systems and martial arts

Quote:
Justin Couch wrote:
Finally, if you have no idea what I was just talking about, but would be interested in some sort of interactive 3D "thing" that showed off Aikido or one of the other martial arts, please let me know what you'd be interested in seeing. This will be a long term project - I'm expecting 12+ months, but something that could benefit us all in the long run.
Just to throw in a quick opinion, I don't think these types of video analyses are all that helpful. To see why I think you'd be wasting your time with Aikido, Tai Chi, and similar arts, take a look at the Gozo Shioda video called "Shingi Denju". What Shioda does in the last part (he's mostly in seiza) is the essence of Aikido's control and blending of forces.... yet all you can see is the results, not what he's actually doing. A motion study wouldn't have any motion to study since he rigs force paths with his mind, once he has a connection to uke. Showing the type of film analysis that you're suggesting of what Shioda is doing would show nothing. Hence, most of these 3D modelings tend to show "technique" and not the essence of Aikido, Tai Chi, etc. Not trying to rain on your parade, by any means, but I thought someone should note the problem with these sorts of analyses.

FWIW

Mike