View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
DH
United_States
Re: Oh My Gawd - did no one notice this?

Just saw that I wrote 180 techniques in post #8 for the hiden mokuroku. Of course I meant the 118.
There is another interesting related article I am looking at defining Ueshiba's training of Judo counters that looks strangely organized like the hiden mokuroku; when grabbed with one hand, when grabbed on sleeve and collar with two hands, etc.

Fumiaki Shishida's review of Takeshita's diary

Also interesting was yet another notation of fees in Takeshita's dairy and authors commentary.
At that time a college grad made about 30-35 yen a month
The Kodokan charged two yen a month
Takeda charged three yen
Two different sources Sugino and Takeshita say Ueshiba charged 30 yen and broke his word to pay Takeda his three yen
Yet oddly enough another source says training at the Kobukan (Ueshiba dojo) was only three yen.
All agree that Ueshiba made a promise when he became a teacher to pay Takeda, three yen per student-not bad considering his travel expenses and length of teaching-then bailed on that promise.
This is still the most likely reason for him chasing Ueshiba down for an answer and for the letter delivered asking why Ueshiba as lying about him. Also the most reasonable explanation for taking over the Asahi dojo and ranking Ueshiba's own student above Ueshiba- an extreme loss of face.

Ueshiba's part in creating his own myth
Kisshomaru quotes Ueshiba in the early twenties just after being given his teaching creds as going on and on about aiki.
Tomiki is quoted as early as 1928 stating that Ueshiba would never publicly discuss where he got his art from, (saying this with a smirk)
The author speculates Ueshiba also covered up training in Yagyu Shinkage ryu because he couldn't stand to be seen as being under yet another teacher. (This also might explain why his swordsmanship sucked in those older films- so does his jo- and looks better later on).
Last and equally interesting is that it appears none of the names chosen when he was trying to form his own art were his own, they were always someone elses choices;
Daito ryu jujutsu-under Takeda to 1922
Daito ryu aiki-jujutsu- 1. in Sep 1922 suggested as the formal name by Deguchi
Daito ryu jujutsu-removed the aiki and went back to jujutsu according to Takeshita
Aioi ryu aiki-jujtusu- 2. Support circle called the Aioi-kai, declared a name change, February 17, 1928.
Aiki bujutsu- 3. Takashita diary June 14, 1929:
Aiki budo- 4. Name appears on several scrolls handed out in the 1930's ad photographed by Aikido Journal
Daito ryu aiki-jujutsu-1932' According to Shioda; the name the art was called when he joined.
Aikido- 1942 Name was invented by a committee as a category to differentiate it from Koryu or Gendai budo being displayed at an Embu. Ueshiba was enamored with it and kept it.

Realize that all this was going on while he was handing out Daito ryu scrolls...(Takeshita mentions voting on the awarding of Sho and chu mokuroku in1940) that Ueshiba attached his own various names to in its various forms over Daito ryu mokuroku.

As I stated earlier, lest people question Ueshiba only, realize that Takeda's son created his own art; Daito ryu Aikibudo and declared himself soke of that, and proceeded to hand out scrolls and rank in both Aikibudo and Daito ryu Aikijujutsu-an art which had no known soke. All while he insisted this is a koryu and unbroken transmission!

Very weird indeed. I will be so bold as to suggest the reader consider that were this an actual koryu with established lineage and mokuroku floating about Japan...NONE of this would have ever occured!

Stanley Pranin is uploading an incredible amount of previously unseen material. I get daily emails. All for $30 a year. It is hands down the best deal for accurate and interesting information on aikido and Daito ryu I have seen. On top of which you can email him, ask questions and get answers!

Dan
1.Tomiki said "Master Ueshiba gave us the impression that the name of aiki was established by Takeda and Ueshiba working together or by himself. … He gave us the impression that the term aiki was added into Daito-ryu jujutsu from Ueshiba's age, like Daito-ryu-aiki-jujutsu." [Shishida
(Ed.), 1982, pp.1-2]
a. On the other hand, Kishomaru Ueshiba also strongly suggested in his book of aikido [Ueshiba, K., 1982, p.556] that Ueshiba used the term aiki first and advised Takeda to add it to Daito-ryu jujutsu.
b. Sagawa's father has the use of Aiki in his notes as early as 1913. Aikido Journal interview
c. Sagawa notes the use of aikijujutsu when he was 17 prior to Ueshiba even meeting Takeda. Aikido Journal interview
d. Kodo notes that jujutsu, Aikijujutsu and Aiki-jutsu was used by his own father when he taught him prior to anyone knowing who Ueshiba was AIkido Journal interview

2. We can understand from this that (the Aioi-kai) it became actually independent from the Daito-ryu-jujutsu. However, this declaration was not effective in solving Ueshiba's agony over his betrayal of Sokaku Takeda, Ueshiba's master in the Daito-ryu-jujutsu. Takeda sometimes visited him even after that so as to demand an explanation as to why Ueshiba did not pay the commission of 3 yen per person as agreed to when Takeda qualified Ueshiba in 1922 to teach Daito-ryu-jujutsu on his behalf [Editorial Department of the Aiki News, 2002, 269]. However he did receive 30 yen from each pupil, when the starting salary for a college graduate drew 35 yen around 1928 [Editorial Department of Aiki News, 2006, p.179, p.101]. This was just a problem to be resolved in private, as the name change was a one-sided declaration by the supporters represented by Takeshita. Ueshiba's tactics seemed to be to avoid the master when he visited.

3. Takeshita's dairy "After lunch, I strolled around Akabane and Mita areas. From 5 p.m. we had a konwa-kai, a gathering for a friendly discussion, at Takahashi's dojo or hall. There were about 20 participants. From today we decided and declared that the name of our martial art would be Aiki-bujutsu."

Last edited by DH : 01-21-2012 at 04:40 PM.