View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 11:28 PM   #88
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Re: Atemi waza: good or bad for Aikido?

Lots of great stuff here. For me, the issue is resolved in the idea that correct martial practice requires a certain "aliveness" and that this aliveness can be had without striking but is very difficult due to our infinite ability to delude ourselves especially with this psychologically hot topic of violence. So striking (in my Systema practice) is a very important part of my own training. But I admit that part of that is due to my own inadequecies. Also, I have learned a lot about myself both by striking and being struck.

Mr. Ledyard, my understanding of systema strikes is similar to yours with the one caveat that it is my understanding that we don't strike to create tension, we point out the tension that is already there.

Mark, I don't look at it as doing as less as possible, I see it as attempting to not add things that aren't necessary. (sorry about the double negative) One thing I am trying to work through is the idea that in a technique based art like aikido, is that we are working with memory (a set technique) that we then try to superimpose onto reality. In systema we are asked to look at the reality of the situation, to move with what is there. For me, this is much more difficult psychically than my aikido training has been.

Charles