View Single Post
Old 12-31-2004, 10:27 AM   #14
David Yap
Malaysia
Re: Locking/pinning as pain submission...

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
...<snip>...His technique included...
1) breaking of balance <checked>
2) wrist twisting <checked>
and...
3) Vice like grip...

Due to the added element of very strong grip, my whole limb was in his control, I could not twist nor turn at all if he did not allow me to. Then I realised what he meant by the image of the eagle. One must have very strong grip like those of an eagle's claws.
Sorry mate, this, I do not agree with you. It is not so much due to the vice like grip that you couldn't twist nor turn. It is more due to your unbalanced state and his extension. You assume that it was his vice like grip because you felt his grip and got your mind attached to it similar to the time when you first started training aikido and a strong or experienced uke give you a vice like grip in katate-dori. I believe in a firm but not a vice grip. A vice like grip will definitely hinder the flow of "ki".

Quote:
This bring me back the thread, immobilization is the key not pain. So much to learn, so little time. Sigh.

Boon.
Immobilization - taking away the opponent's will to fight is definitely the key. Agreed absolutely.

Regards and happy new year (with lots of wonderful and rewarding trainings).

David Y

P.S. As for the symbol (the eagle) for your dojo/organization's crest - I think your dojo-cho or soke would have the real explanation.

Last edited by David Yap : 12-31-2004 at 10:32 AM.