Thread: Online Decline?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #35
MM
United_States
Re: Online Decline?

Quote:
Francis Takahashi wrote: View Post
Greetings Jun, and a Happy New Year to all worthy participants on Aiki Web.

I am in fundamental agreement with your purpose of having Aiki Web primarily as "a place to have meaningful interactions with others in the Aikido world". This cannot happily occur when disrespectful rhetoric, demeaning dialogue, superficially clever but non productive circular argumentation, and when disgusting "bully pulpit" tactics are employed to intimidate or otherwise dissuade well meaning people from freely and comfortably exchanging views on what they perceive as their practice, and their valid interpretation of O Sensei's Aikido. Where does it say that you must be famous, have a fearsome persona, or have a genuine pedigree to participate?
I'm not sure I follow. Could you please provide examples of people who have "disrespectful rhetoric", "demeaning dialogue", and "superficially clever but non productive circular argumentation"?

Could you also show when "disgusting "bully pulpit" tactics are employed to intimidate or otherwise dissuade well meaning people from freely and comfortably exchanging views on what they perceive as their practice, and their valid interpretation of O Sensei's Aikido"?

Are you stating that there are people on Aikiweb who are disrespectful, demeaning, and use disgusting tactics? And you're saying Jun has allowed them to stay? Could you please provide names so that Jun may address these issues?

Quote:
I have said before that "love is high maintenance", and if we want to keep Jun's Forum vibrantly alive with quality articles from enthusiastic and mutually respectful contributors, who readily commit to maintaining proper decorum, and who fully appreciate the reason for agreed upon boundaries. These people have a proven track record for staying focused on exchanging viewpoints rather than dogma, allowing us to return to what Jun has originally envisioned, and to what the original group of contributors signed on for. When this happens, I fully intend to participate once again.
Your post sounds as if you think the IP/aiki "crowd"/"group"/whatever are not maintaining proper decorum, not exchanging viewpoints, are not respectful and do not contribute quality posts. This taken with the first paragraph seems to point to a rather harsh and uncivil passive aggressive attack on the IP/aiki people's personalities.

I'm sure that I must have this wrong. Could you please elaborate and provide names of these people who are not maintaining proper decorum, not exchanging viewpoints, are not respectful and do not contribute quality posts? I'm positive Jun would have a private chat with them to correct the situation.

Quote:
In professional sales, there is a profound saying that "people don't care that you know, until they know that you care." When kind consideration for the rights and feelings of others guide the discourse, more people of good will will want to join in. Such an inviting atmosphere once existed here, and can once again.

Jun is correct in advising those who want to make a name for themselves by vigorously and unashamedly promoting their narrow agendas, to take their shtick elsewhere, thereby honoring what Jun wants for his Forum. It is, after all, his Forum, with us as lucky passengers and privileged guests along for the ride. I, for one, will fully support any and all actions taken to ensure a return to decency, compassion and simple good manners in our contributions. A primary ethic in martial arts is "Reigi Sa Ho". You are identified and categorized by how close you perform to this standard. It is a true shame that many of those who count their martial arts experience in years and decades, fail miserably in this light. It is an easy standard to maintain, if you so choose.
"Reigi Sa Ho". Sorry, I'm not Japanese. I'm a simple man from West Virginia, but it seems to me that your post up to this point has been to unabashedly disrespect a group of people on Aikiweb. You have called into question people's characters throughout your entire post, yet failed to actually name anyone. To be certain, however, they are here on Aikiweb now.

"Reigi Sa Ho. You are identified and categorized by how close you perform to this standard. It is a true shame that many of those who count their martial arts experience in years and decades, fail miserably in this light. It is an easy standard to maintain, if you so choose." I think people can see the truth behind your words.