Old 09-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #65
DH
United_States
Re: Golden Center Aikido for your pleasure

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
Who do you consider competent?
Who is your "we"?
Why do you continue to criticize something you don't understand?
I hear Graham say over and over that those videos are not what he does for technique...they are videos of some stuff he was working on after class.
Jun asked us to be respectful of others.
Making fun of Graham and any one else who doesn't do it your way or Henry's way is not respectful.
Dan, you don't train in Aikido. Can you consider that you might not understand what Graham is talking about because you have not put as much time on an Aikido mat as he has?

I am sure you have a good understanding of what you do.

Saying things like "we get and you don't" is a form of bullying.

Forums are for an exchange of ideas.

What you do...what Mike does ...what Henry Ellis does...What George does...What Mark (both Marks) do...what Graham does...what we do...are all different...there are many starfish on the shore...all are beautiful.

Yours may be the strongest and the best and the most effective in your eyes.
There is still room for diversity...that is what make life wonderful.
Thanks for listening.

Mary
Mary, you got it backward.
The we? Was all of us being told BY Graham that we don't understand....And this includes a long list of aikidoka here.

As for the other videos of no touch aikido and taiji that are widely examined and critiqued. Many times the people who post them asked for a review. Other times Jun himself asked us to use video to make points.
You also missed a critcial point I raise, over and over and over. I am starting to wonder if you miss it on purpose. No one cares if people do cooperative practice and enjoy it. There is no reason that it has to be martial. It is only when they state that it is something it is not, they they invitte a critical examination.
This also goes into aiki or internals. Like it or not, if someone is going to state they can move someone with aiki, we..ave every right to discuss their ability to do so. Case in point: No one minds if we say something positive do they? This over sensitivity to examination doesn't say much for a budo-ka.
It is also clear that you do not address the long list of folks saying much the same thing to Graham. You reserve your ire for me. I did Aikido for years. I am in aikido dojo- surounded by aikido teachers- constantly. I have every right to an opinon, particularly when I can support them in person.

Quote:
Saying things like "we get and you don't" is a form of bullying.
Actually Mary it is a truth that overly sensitive people don't like.
That said, you need to review- as it is Graham who has been doing exactly that to all of his critique that he asked for.
Graham aside, lets look at the no touch throws and and the taiji I mentioned. I have no trouble with thier comments that it is effective, as long as they can do. It is obvious to most everyone this is not the case
Dan

Last edited by DH : 09-01-2011 at 09:23 AM.