View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #28
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Aikido in Schools: What are your thoughts?

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
Perfectly stated! You also don't want kids who are doing it for the class credit, but have no real affinity for it, walking around trying to crank sankyo's or whatever on random people. If they don't really care about what they're doing they're not going to have much respect for what it's capable of.
They already do it on the college level as a P.E. credit. Highschool doesn't seem much different to me...particularly when you consider every one I know of already has wrestling as a program. My Jr. High had wrestling. I don't remember anyone from those programs assaulting people...certainly no more so than any other group of people I've known. I get that it couldn't be a "pure" form of whatever arts were used and perhaps there should be some form of disclaimer. The curriculum would have to have very specific goals in mind, among which would be not getting sued or otherwise held liable for anything. In P.E. Football you play flag; in Football football you sign a waver and hit each other. It would depend on the nature of the program for what kind of constraints to apply.
As regards liability I've never been directly injured practicing any of the few styles of Aikido I've experienced, but I've been injured plenty playing football, soccer and other sports.
To answer another question, I think a softer style would generally be an easier choice for the school system...or at least some kind of low impact curriculum.

Gambarimashyo!