Thread: pressure points
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2000, 05:46 AM   #1
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
I have heard many stories about Ueshiba striking lots of pressure points with atemis during techniques- sometimes to the extent that people were semi-conscious during a technique; which surely makes them relaxed enough to blend with. (but maybe these are just stories).

Very recently I have been training with someone who did Chinese boxing, and he was telling me about his instructor that made his body go limp from just pressing on a pressure point on his chest. I feel that pressure points are effective if you hit them correctly and with the right pressure, and also if there are no obstructions such as clothing. This friend also told me about one of the aikido techniques is an ideal set up for a heart stopping technique (which requires 2 pressure points to be hit simultaneously).

Personally I feel there is not enough talk of pressure points in Aikido. I've been shown very few. Is there anywhere I can find out more about pressure points and how to use them effectively, especially within the context of aikido?
(I've currently ordered a book called Dragons Touch - though I'm unsure whether it is really possible to develop effective pressure point techniques without being shown them personally).

Any views on this?