View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007, 04:31 AM   #20
Guilty Spark

United_States
Re: why did you start aikido?

Quote:
I wanted to train in a second martial art and I thought Aikido would be easy since there were no kata's, kicking or punching.
See I've heard this mentioned before there's no punching or kicking. (Even though I've seen clips of Osensei and Gozo Shioda punching kicking and striking..)

Here's the thing, in order for someone to learn how to defend them self against a kick or a punch you need someone to punch or kick you properly in the first place, right?
If someone gives you a half assed strike then what are the chances you'll actually be able to defend yourself when it happens for real? Slim to none is my bet..

A video comes to mind which I'll use as an example. A girl (on you tube, yes yes I know) is apparently setting herself up to demonstrate defending herself against a kick. A guy standing in front of her, on command, gives her a kick and she just gets launched off screen.
I figure she's trained against someone kicking her at a dojo but never really trained against someone kicking her 'for real'.

I feel knowing how to punch kick and strike is a VERY important part of knowing and learning aikido, as an uke you owe it to your partner.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend