Thread: Gyaku tsuki
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2004, 08:53 AM   #13
Ian Upstone
Re: Gyaku tsuki

Quote:
Ian Dodkins wrote:
I am not convinced that anyone can react quick enough to change technique depending on whether someone was striking from the front or back foot.
Me neither! I think this is why nage should do all they can to deal with uke before they can close the distance and set up for such things as gyaku zuki.
Quote:
Lyle Laizure wrote:
I am sure there are folks that can do this. (Not to say that I am one of them.) You do have to train for it though.
If I understand this, (and I may not here ) you mean starting from within punching range, where uke has any strike available, and nage can respond with standard techniques (ikkyo etc)?

Hmm. If nage has such tremendous (and IMO frankly superhuman) skill and speed to change technique as strikes are being delivered - they should certainly have enough skill to take advantage of the easier option - using uke's opening as they are moving in to close the distance in the first place!

I think there's some good use in training from opposite side strikes. May be even fun to experment with - interesting balance issues, lots of technique variations etc, but dynamically, I think it is unrealistic.