View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006, 12:23 PM   #98
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Mixing Aikido with other martial arts

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote:
Ron,
Hello! I didn't think you were lazy. I just happened to have that fresh on the computer because I was reading some of that thread the last few days. It's irritating because Yahoo kept erroring out. Ugh. So, I copied the link here.

Hope things are going well for you. And back to the topic at hand, er, computer screen, I'm starting regular kali/silat training at the end of this month. And I'm excited about it.

How does that work for me? It actually works out very well. I'm still continuing my Aikido and I'm hitting an area where it's refreshingly new (sort of ... old themes but new way of looking at it) yet amazingly irritating. LOL. It's like being a beginner all over again and trying to do rolls.

But kali is cool and interesting. It's an aspect of martial arts that appeals to me. I'm not learning it because I think Aikido is lacking. No, Aikido is a whole art that is all encompassing. In fact, I hope kali turns out to be just as all encompassing an art that Aikido is. I don't know, though, because I'm just starting.

Do I wish to blend the two? Not right now. Especially since I don't know kali. It would be unwise to blend two things when you only have a semi-decent grasp of one and no grasp of the other.

As with all things, time will tell. What it will tell I haven't a clue. LOL. But it should be a fun, hard, and wild ride. Glad I'm still young enough to enjoy the hard work and play.

Mark
When I'm sparing or competing, I dont think, OK now I'll do aikido, or now I'm doing bjj. I'm just doing. I never blended any of my arts. I just do what comes natural to the situation. I wouldn't worry about blending arts or keeping them seperate. Just train.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein