View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #38
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom
Re: What would you do if someone attacked you in the street?

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
Now Rupert that's a bit of a stretch in interpretation.

Self defense is all about creating ma-ai. I use the term rather than just distance because so much more comes into play. Which weapons are being employed, perceived threat and capability, and the need to engage. You are taking these things into account by not being in the situation in the first place, removing yourself from the problem, helping others to do the same. Distancing yourself allows the use of the piece of magic called the cell-phone.
Sorry, but a friend once helped me when someone came at me with a knife. I would not run away. I will do something. pick up something - whatever. Would goad him towards me and away from others. I am not afraid of getting hurt. Maybe my training would work, maybe not. but I have not spent more than half a life training martial arts to run away. That is pathetic. In fact, I have come across 'situations' a few times - I linger near. Watch. Help if I can. Keep my distance as necessary. Guy with bottle - take it from him - done that. Guy with large rock - take it from him. Done that. Two scrapping on floor - drag top one off by the scruff of the neck - done that. It is not really so hard as they are usually 'not quite with it' and don't really mean it anyway.