View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #23
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Question Re: Refining my view of aiki

Quote:
Dan Richards wrote: View Post
defining aiki as succinctly as possible...let me tweak my definition for, possibly, better clarity.
Succinct. -- Let's do that.

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
As for aiki, I'm not sure I completely agree with Dan Richards' definition, but it's a good basis for further discussion.
Let's begin there, then.

Quote:
Dan Richards wrote: View Post
Aiki is a demonstrable body skill and state of being achieved through the neutralization of opposing forces, and the directing of power by intent/mind via the center/will.
Matthew approved Lee Salzman's take:
Quote:
Lee Salzman wrote:
There is a certain form of "structure" that arises from a body that is supported in all directions, ... it has no one direction or path. ... If someone comes into contact with your surface, there's no need for you to connect with them, because you were already connected with everything.
Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
If there is a structure that arises from the body that is supported in all directions and it is not the skeleton (as indicated by the Lee Salzman quote ), what material of the body is this structure composed of?
Jeremy added:
Quote:
Jeremy Hulley wrote: View Post
The structure happens via intent.
Chris added a link to discussion involving tensegrity -- an important point -- though not, IMO for the reason he appears to believe.

Summing up these points (all of which I agree with):

1. Aiki is a structural response -- formed by using the body according certain applied forms or mental impressions of structure.

2. Aiki has features that appear similar to tensegrity:
----- a) Aiki has an instantaneous load path response throughout the structure from any change of load anywhere on the structure, and
---- b) In Aiki, tension and compression forces are distinct in where and how the structure is normally and dynamically stressed.

3. In Aiki (unlike tensegrity):
---- a) tension and compression interact continuously (in yo ho), not discontinuously, and invert smoothly into one another without loss of continuity, or any loss of structural potential or potential energy when reversing the sign or direction of apparent action.
---- b) Aiki is a surface dominated phenomenon.

I think that is what we have so far. Miss anything? I'll keep my thoughts to the side until we're as agreed as we can be.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.