View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #39
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States
Re: YouTube: Kotegaeshi - Basic and Variations

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Nage has a lot of movement - I think that's where he's getting his kuzushi (not even goin' there whether he has kuzushi for real or his ukes are just playin'). But, wow, he brings the hand up awfully high before applying the kotegaeshi. I've always been told that's a big no-no because it gives uke the opportunity to get their balance back. What would stop that from happening in this case? The movement?
Nope, that movement wouldn't "keep" the attacker off-balance, and you're exactly right IMO, raising the hand gives uke back their balance.

I agree, it's a nifty-looking demo of some neat-o kotegaeshi variations applied on a willing and cooperative uke. A good way to show different directions of technique, but the video is a bit too cooperative and uke a bit too willing to show what'd actually be expressed like.

But, to be fair, it is very hard to show "actual" technique in a pretty way, unless you are crazy, mad-scientist, Buddha O-sensei kind of good (there are some high level folks out there like that right now). I can drop a person where I want with kotegaeshi as Phi said above, but it is very seldom pretty. They are almost mutually-exclusive.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.