View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
lbb
United_States
Re: A time for aikido

A lot of people were at the race. It's a Boston/Massachusetts holiday: not everybody gets the day off, but many do, and of those that don't, many have a kid or a spouse who has the day off, so they take it too. And a lot go to see the Marathon, some to see the front-runners, but many more because they have a friend or family member who's running. It's so common here to know someone who's running, and those people are the ones who really want to be at the finish line.

All my coworkers are ok, I've heard from all my close friends. I just heard about two friends of a friend. "[name omitted] died. [name omitted] had her eardrum blown out and will likely lose her leg."

It's always easier to break than it is to make, easier to wreck than it is to mend. The only solution to hate and destruction is to join the ranks of the makers and menders and healers. One wrecker can undo the work of ten makers. So let's be a hundred makers, a thousand, whatever it takes. Let's heal the wounded, let's stay with them and help them with everything that's going to be so hard now. Let's build again -- the damaged buildings, but most importantly, the damaged human community. Let's gather, let's walk our streets, smile at each other and speak to the stranger. Build, make, mend, heal, be a part of creation.