View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #26
lbb
United_States
Re: Teacher OKs "Avoid[ing] touching females on religious grounds"

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
It does bring up another issue. In many businesses I see a sign that says they reserve the right to refuse services, or have a dress code, etc. If its your business, even open to the public, don't you have any rights to decide who to teach and how to structure your teaching?
If you are a public accommodation -- which includes private businesses open to the public -- you cannot refuse service to individuals based on their membership in a protected category such as gender, race or religion. You can refuse service for other reasons, such as being inappropriately dressed (as some restaurants do) or being drunk (as many bars do).

Quote:
Coming up through the arts I have been to many dojos that did not mix classes and have been refused training because I was white. And you know, IMHO, they have that right too.
You may feel that they have that moral right, but in the United States, if they are a public accommodation, they do not have that legal right. That is a matter of settled law, not a matter of opinion.

Quote:
I just don't personally believe that my individual rights should have to be accommodated by everyone else.
If you define "individual rights" loosely and sloppily, you will no doubt find that the law safeguards some of these "individual rights" and does not safeguard others. Again, this is not a matter of personal belief.

Quote:
While I certainly would not have made this specific request or segregate and school I belonged to or taught it, I simply do not believe that I am the most important person here or necessarily the one in charge.
It has nothing to do with who is most important or who's "in charge". This is what it means to live under the rule of law: that no matter how "important" or "in charge" you may be, you are subordinate to the law, and you are also protected by it.