MM
United_States
Re: Making Kote Gaeshi Work - With Resistance

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
Thanks Mark

It appeared to be very very basic but I enjoyed seeing you "in action"

William Hazen
Thanks, William. And yes, I consider it to be very, very basic structural stuff.

Quote:
After watching it again I would love to see what style of Kote Gaeshi you use with resistance both Omote and Ura
At this point, I don't think it matters what style. Then again, this is basic stuff, so my views on that could change later.

Quote:
In ours there is an Atemi at the pressure point at the back of the jaw
Oh, speaking of atemi. The second vid shows Brian trying to use two atemi. Some people might think that because I'm just standing there (that's on purpose, btw. I just wanted to negate kote gaeshi; I didn't want to engage the attack or uke at all), I'm vulnerable to an atemi. But, having structure doesn't work like that. I'm not clamped down, rigid, and fighting to "resist" kote gaeshi. I'm actually mobile and fluid -- in a basic sense. No where near what I should be, but I'm just a beginner at this stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sht2NLy7jvA

Quote:
and... Voila! Kote Gaeshi. Also unlike the vid Nage keeps everything connected to his center and does not extend his arms and shoulders away from his center trying to "muscle" the wrist
I'm scheduled to be out in San Diego (downtown near the Convention Center) Nov 7th through the 15th. Maybe we can get together sometime while I'm out there?

Mark