View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 12:00 PM   #7
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States
Re: "higher" callings...

Quote:
Neil Mick wrote:
1)Changes in legislation, however: DOES reflect a change in attitude, and perspective. Just look at the changes in civil rights legislation, for example: from the ill-conceived Dred Scott decision (which considered a black man to be 3/4 of a person), to the civil rights legislation of the '60's. The change reflects a change in how we perceive ourselves, and others.

2)Regarding legislation "cushioning reality:" not sure what you mean. Pls elaborate.
1)I think the only change in attitude and perspective that is highlighted here is the change in attitude and perspective of the oppressed...the civil rights laws were not given out of altruism. The black community's unrest was a threat to stability and I think that's why they were "granted" their "rights."

2)I think reality is that there's only one person in this world who'll do the right thing for you...that's you. However, seems like the average person I encounter believes that the world owes them something...and it's affirmed by legislation--even the legislation that you refered to.

My experience is that there's little to no sense of individual responsibility and as a result, the government is allowed to be a father of sorts.