View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 06:30 AM   #166
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States
Re: Can we see that aikido is all over the place in MMA?

Quote:
Matthew Story wrote: View Post
What is "pure" aikido? Clearly it is not what we do in the dojo, because what we do in the dojo obviously has form. And if what we do in the dojo isn't really aikido, then what should we call it?
I'll let O Sensei address that in this quote, from page 36 of John Stevens' expanded edition of the Art of Peace:

"Regarding technique Morihei made this telling remark: In reality, Aikido has no forms, no set patterns. It is like an invisible wave of energy. However, such a phenomenon is too difficult for human beings to grasp, so we use provisional forms to explain it and put it into practice. Any movement, in fact can become Aikido technique [emphasis added], so in ultimate terms, there are no mistakes. My advice to you: Learn and forget! Learn and forget! Make the techniques part of your being.

He [Morihei] further stated: You cannot imitate what I do. Each technique is a once-and-for-all experience. My techniques emerge freely, spewing forth like a fountain. Rather than try to copy what I do listen to what I say. That is where the essence of techniques lies. Someday you will understand."

Ron