View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #12
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom
Re: Can somebody who's never thrown a person, claim they can - and do - throw people?

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
Sigh. We've been here before.

OP: Aikido doesn't work in a real situation.

Reply: Yes it does, here's an example or two.

OP: No, I didn't mean that kind of real situation. I mean where you and a student of a different art spar under a bunch of rules that aren't yours. That kind of real situation.

Yeah, if you want to play the other guy's game, go learn to play the other guy's game. Big surprise.
That's not what the thread is about, at all; I stated the assumption that aikido is a suitable budo/martial art for modern life.
Please read the thread before commenting, lest you clog it up with unnecessary verbosity.

Regards 'playing the other guy's game': I stated that the way aikido is taught/practiced, this mantra of 'don't play the other guy's game' is a laughable platitude, as against someone who trains with live partners, and who doesn't attack in the ways you are taught to defend against (committed attacks; slow attacks), you will quickly come unstuck.

I also mentioned that aikido is not meant to be techniques: the techniques taught are a means of practicing/realising it, so if you talk about not being able to make your art work under 'rules that aren't yours', then your art/methodology/ability is lacking.
Ueshiba took on all-comers - no matter their discipline, or 'rule-set', and as the saying goes: 'I have done aikido with munitions before.' (roughly).

99% of aikidoka would be defeated by an opponent who knew their martial art, and who knew another one of worth; that was my point: if it's unable to compare to other martial arts, then it needs fixing, or throwing away.

I freely acknowledged - as I said - that aikido has its uses, but my concern is its pedagogy.
We've probably all heard these anecdotes about wise old Japanese masters - Ueshiba included - who, when asked about how to do a technique, replied mystically, or refused to answer - save through demonstration. Well, Jigoro Kano himself complains about his teachers being like that, and states quite clearly that it is a grossly inefficient way to learn, and so he revolutionised Japanese budo.

My own personal experience tells me that he was right.
I only have one life, and so much time to live; I don't want to waste it figuring out mystical explanations: I want to learn; I want to be good.
Instead of being scared to fail, and refusing to acknowledge the deficiencies in aikido Vs other arts, I chose to pursue these other arts, and I have learned so much, in a short space of time.