View Single Post
Old 01-05-2006, 06:20 AM   #11
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: Traditional Aikido vs Nihon Goshin

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:
Sure I have every right to take everything I have learned from different arts, invent some of my own moves - write my own
system and collection of techniques, open a school and call
it Self-defense Judo.

Hey, I decided to call it Judo so it's Judo.
It's just not Kano's Judo.

--------------------

If you are going to expand the definition of a label to suit your marketing to the public, you can expect that you will encounter others who will disagree with your arbitrary relabeling and feel you are misleading the public.

The thing is, there already is a broad category label for Japanese derived arts that would create no disagreement - "jujutsu"

Nihon Goshin Jujutsu
Korindo Jujutsu

and then

Aikido == Ueshiba derived jujutsu
Judo == Kano derived jujutsu
Daito Ryu == Takeda derived jujutsu
etc.

Craig

Historically speaking, Ueshiba does NOT have any ownership on the label Aikido. The name Aikido was invented by the Dai-Nihon-Butokukai for Practical Yawara, or Ju-jutsu if you prefer, and Ueshiba adopted it, not the other way around. Hence:
"Aikido == Ueshiba derived jujutsu" is simply untrue, It's not an identity, rather just labeling.

As far as Korindo Aikido, Hirai had every right to use the label Aikido. Neither you nor me could argue with him with regard to the meaning of the term Aikido since Hirai was the chair of the committee that coined the term "Aikido".
I don't know about the history of NGA, nor why did the founder of this system decide to use the term Aikido. But having read an interview with Hirai about the meaning of the name, it was meant as a category definition, not just a single M.A. Hence, Hirai would probably have welcomed other M.A. with "Aikido" as part of their name.

By the way, if you will look more closely at it, you will find that Kano called his art "Kodokan Judo" and Judo was a more general term (It particularly referred to Jikishin Ryu, at least a century before Kano, see: http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14342). Would you like to blame Kano for being "misleading" ?

P.S. I have taken a look at a NGA web site and they consider their founder to be Shodo Morita, not Richard Bowe. I have never studied this issue, and could not attest to the credibility of the history written there.

Amir