View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #25
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States
Re: "Resist not evil"

Quote:
Charles David Henderson wrote: View Post
Some might "argue," if I may use that ironically, reconciling conflict through non-resistance and restoring harmony. Non-resistance as a strategy for not getting caught up in evil while transforming it. Which brings us back to another perennial disagreement -- what do these terms mean in the context of budo? That probably deserves some serious exigesis as well.
Budo (redirecting the spear)????
Some resistance is necessary, in my experience.

From my perspective, the idea you mentioned re: "restoring balance" is an honorable ideal.
Now that is a wonderful shamanic quest and a fine goal in practicing Aiki.

In reconciling conflict, non-reactivity might be a more precise goal rather than non resistance. If we remain clear during the chaos of conflict, it is easier to locate the path that reconciles and restores balance. But the actions we take may include both passive and even aggressive resistance. Having clarity about why we do something is the major guide toward collaborating on a successful resolution.

I must admit, in several of the recent threads I have experienced more reactivity and unnecessary conflict coming from Aiki teachers than I have witnessed reconciliation or resolution.

Namaste,

Chris